Friday, June 06, 2008

Asparagus and Shitake Barley Risotto



I make a mean risotto, but also like the idea of using more whole grains and less refined carbs, so I tried the technique for barley risotto at 101 Cookbooks. Heidi's recipe is for lemons and greens, but risotto is risotto and I can use asparagus and shitake instead.

barley cooking

2 bunches of asparagus
1/2 lb. shitake mushrooms
2 small - medium onions
3 cloves garlic

2 C. pearled barley

2 C. white wine
4 C. chicken stock
another 1 - 2 cups of water
1/2 - 1 C. parmesan
salt and pepper


The technique is the same as for risotto with arborio rice, except the barley absorbs a lot more liquid and doesn't give up it's starch to make it so creamy. I tried to use additional cheese for creaminess, but the domestic parm I had is not very flavorful. I got an okay texture, but it's better to use good cheese.




All in all, a bland effort. Better to use the rice and the good parmesan. Maybe I would try this again with good cheese and some dried mushrooms to try and make it a little heartier.

It looks like this plated, in theory. In reality, I used a considerable portion of hot-sauce to give it some flavor.


Verdict: C
Credits: 101 Cookbooks Meyer Lemon Risotto
Leftovers? Yes, keeps well but gets blander.

Notes: Would be vegetarian with vegetable stock or water instead of chicken stock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

トリーバーチはさまざまな色で展開され、トリーバーチ クラッチ どの色も素敵で季節感溢れているんですよね。セレブに愛用されたおしゃれな tory burch がやってきました!夏にも涼しさを感じられるなら、トリーバーチ ブーツ は絶対ここは間違い選択ですよ!今入手困難ですから、早く購入しよう!